.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Vibesworkshop Blog

Monday, July 09, 2007

Not Just A Vibe Player

I get in this jam once or twice a year. Since I consider myself a vibe player I don’t have marimba mallets, or even bell mallets. But here it goes again, I got a call to play marimba and bells and I have to borrow the right sticks, once again.


What’s cool is it’s a recording date, and they want the real instruments. I get a few calls a year for this, I’m glad some people are still using live instruments!


Could you imagine what it was like ‘back in the day’, let’s say the 40’s through the 70’s. There was a TON of work! That must have been a blast running around and playing. Also think of all the jazz clubs. In Philly, we had jazz clubs all over the place ‘back in the day’. Guys talk about riding the Broad Street Subway going from club to club.


And I digress! I guess the point is 30 years ago I would have had all my mallets and would have been working my ass off!! Today I don’t have those mallets, don’t really need them, but I should have them!


I’m lucky because I’ve been working hard for 25 years and have built up a little business. VERY little. But I survive! Which means you can still make a living playing vibes.


I’m not talking about Burton or Mainieri, I’m talking about just gigging and hustling. That’s what I do. I’m a workhorse. What’s good is I make sure I’m playing with great musicians, that keeps me on my toes and keeps me practicing even though some of the gigs, don’t require it!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home